Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Insecure Writer's Support Group

First Wednesday of the month means it's time for IWSG!


co-hosts for IWSG this month are Gwen Gardner, Dolorah, Sarah Foster, and M. Pax!

So yeah, as usual I'm feeling pretty good. I think the beginning of the month must generally be a pretty good time for me because I feel like a lot of these posts are me shrugging my shoulders saying "yeah. Things are good right now."

Which is not to say I don't have insecurities. I totally do. But things get resolved, or I address what's making me feel anxious and then let it go.

I'm mildly worried about writing my critical thesis for my MFA. My first draft is due to my advisor by the end of February. Which is plenty of time. But I'm in the middle of another round of edits, so that has to take priority. But those will be done in another week or so, so then it's back to the paper. And I know what I'm writing about and I have my primary sources. It's just getting it all together into something that makes sense which is just bluuurgh.

But, I know once I do it, the biggest hurdle is crossed. Get that draft out and then I can spend next month fixing it.

But then of course there are other hurdles. Writing book 2. Writing my MG fantasy. So, pretty much, a lot of writing. But, of course, that's the good kind of work.

How are things for you?

11 comments:

Rena said...

Glad you're still feeling good about stuff. Currently, I'm ok. Really I'm just at that phase where being insecure is just inefficient, so I'm carrying on because it's too much effort to worry.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's right - just get the first draft down and fix all the issues later!

Sarah Foster said...

It's great that you're so positive about everything. I think getting the first draft of anything done is always the hardest part.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Sounds like you're on the right track!! Good Luck!

Hart Johnson said...

I think you're doing great. Just keep swimming, my friend! And a note from experience on the thesis... pick the hardest hardass you can for feedback while in progress, then it is smooth sailing once you address anything they spot.

randi lee said...

I agree with Alex. Power through that first draft and come back later. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now! Sending positive vibes your way :)

Tamara Narayan said...

I have plenty of lovely writing projects to do, but I can't seem to get to them. Too busy playing nurse to sick kiddies and kitties.

dolorah said...

You are making progress. Excellent :)

cleemckenzie said...

I love getting a draft done. It always makes me feel like I've reached the top of the first mountain.

Yvette Carol said...

Hi Sarah! I find it pretty much the same, every time I go to write an IWSG post I usually end up spouting off about some writing issue that's come up. I feel insecurity however I don't find it really helps to write about it, preferring to work through things on my own as we introverts do! :-)

Josh said...

Yeah, I just need to sit down with that critical paper and get it done. I need to do it soon so that I can send some creative work as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...