Monday, March 17, 2014

In Which I Draft

So I've been working hard the last few weeks. And hopefully that trend will continue. I'm written 30 new pages on my WIP (still just titled WIP. At some point I'm going to need to sit down and try to come up with an actual title. I HATE not having a title, even a fake one, for a WIP. Drives me crazy).



(I've been thinking of my WIP as a cross between these two things. Whether that will hold up the farther I get into it, we'll see)





I'm aiming to get another ten pages done this week. My MFA mentor said she wants me to revise my first 40 pages and that she'll read up to another new 40 pages if I want and I aim to take her up on that offer.

I've done a bit of revising on the first 40. Fiddled around here and there and addressed a few things, but some of the revisions I need to do are larger, so I think I won't start to tackle those until I print it out (it's easier for me to "see" spanning changes on hard copy as opposed to a screen) and I don't want to print it out until I finish my next 40 pages so I can print it all out at the same time.

The story is going well. I don't LOVE it yet, but I do like it and that's good enough for now. I've come to realize that I'm a person who likes revising more than I like drafting. So I can't wait to finish something so I can get down to fixing it and making it better. Or at least that's the theory anyway.

How about you? Do you like drafting or revising better? And do you prefer to have a title when you're drafting, or is it something that can wait until later for you? (and if you have any ideas for a title for my WIP of which you know nothing about, then feel free to shoot them my way)

11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Making good progress!
I'm with you - revising is much more enjoyable. And I always print out my work. I miss stuff when it's on the screen.

Summer Frey said...

Howl's Elementary Pipe.
The Adventures of a Moving Deerstalker.
Hmmmm. <--also a title

Summer Frey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matthew MacNish said...

LOL @ Summer. I can't wait to read it, whenever it's done.

Maria Zannini said...

I'm definitely a reviser lover. Once the basic bones are in, I love to flesh it out.

Josh said...

80 pages? Nice deal!

Alison Miller said...

You are making awesome progress! Go YOU! Also, I print out way too many hard copies of my docs but it is SO MUCH easier for me to see things that need fixing that way. Anyway, good luck with your draft! Oh, and I enjoy both phases. I'm not being wishy-washy, but I do love drafting a new story, but then I love fixing it up too. Guess I'm weird. :)

Rena said...

Hmmm, titles. Well, I have a few I've kept around for just such an occasion:

Mr. Barthalimewl's Field Guide to the Rare and Glorious Female

Or perhaps:

An Introduction to Mechanical Persuasion.

The truth is I suck at titles. I have a list I keep for titles, and all of the ones I like are all the ones I'll never get to use (e.g. The one I've been querying I'd like to call Shotguns and Sippy Cups, but it gives the wrong impression).

mshatch said...

I'm intrigued. I tend to like drafting throughout the first 2/3 then I just want it to be done so I can get to revisions.

You've accomplished a lot!

KayC said...

I like the revising more than the drafting. My favourite part is getting the story all organised in my head (and on bits of paper everywhere) - but then I know what's going to happen (or at least I think I do!!) so it's not nearly so much fun to slog away putting it all down on paper.

Taking the polishing cloth to the finished draft and making it shine is much more rewarding.

I suck at titles ...

Anne Gallagher said...

I'd rather draft than revise. It kills me to read the same thing over and over again. By the time I'm finished I'm so sick of the book, I never want to see it again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...