Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Insecure Writer's Support Group

First Wednesday of the month (can you believe it's March already??) which means it's time for Insecure Writer's Support Group!




So. I generally like to keep things close to the chest. I don't really know why. I think there's a touch of superstition involved, like I don't want to jinx something, but outside of that, I dunno. I just was never a person who liked to talk about fulls I got when querying, or rejections or anything like that.

But I thought I'd be a bit truthful today about something I've been keeping my mouth shut about.

As of Valentine's day, ALL THAT REMAINS has been officially on sub.

I did a round of revisions (fast fast fast) and then BAM! It suddenly happened.

And it was exciting right away.

And then it was stressful right away.

And then it was super stressful right away.

And then it got a little less stressful.

And then it went back to being super stressful again.

As you can see, there's a bit of a pattern.

Like, listen, I knew being on sub would be tough. Everyone talks about how hard it is. And I expected it. I knew it would be hard.

But I guess I thought it would be hard in a different way? I don't know. I hear so many people talking about how being on sub can take a long time. Months and months. And so I had prepared myself for it being hard because of that. I'm actually a pretty patient person, so long sub time wasn't all that scary for me (especially since I have the MFA stuff going on at the same time to distract me).

But it turns out it's hard for like a bajillion different reasons. Like ALL THE REASONS. Which, combined, makes total sense as to why pretty much everyone says being on sub is just so, so hard.

So, yeah. Here's another person saying the same thing.

Being on sub is hard, guys. Being a writer is hard, guys. Who knew? 

 

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

But that just means the reward will be a thousand times better!
Hang in there, Sarah.

Stephsco said...

That's a good secret to have! I was on sub last year and didn't really feel any different except when I saw the list of who the manuscript went to. Still, it was more excitement from possibility than stress. Six months later with no sale, I feel the defeat. Luckily, I wrote something else during that downtime and the hope begins again.

:) Good luck with your submission process!

Unknown said...

Have you tried scotch? :)

Rena said...

Michael might be on to something. I also recommend rum.

Anne Gallagher said...

I'll tell you what, I'll trade you stresses.

1)My ex is back.
2)The bully at school is still bullying me, and now I have to do all kinds of reports and reconciliation as well as learn a new spreadsheet.
3)I have to publish my book on the 15th and my last critter kicked my ass.

I'll take an MFA and be on sub, thanks. Either that or you'll see me on the news "Woman overdoses on chocolate"

Tracey Neithercott said...

I can imagine how stressful it is! It's the waiting and not knowing and possibility of getting your hopes up for nothing that makes it so terrible. Or maybe that's me thinking about my upcoming querying. Shall we join together in eating mass quantities of chocolate? Or you want to go straight to the booze?

Josh said...

Also, this winter, amirite?

Hart Johnson said...

Oh man--yeah... it IS hard... a lot of waiting, and I THINK then suddenly things role really fast when they happen (that particular part hasn't happened for me yet, but it easily could for you). Hopefully your agent is communicating really well--that helps--to know you won't miss anything.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. Congrats on finishing and submitting. Good luck!

KayC said...

On sub - how exciting! I'm sure, given the choice, you'd take the stress over where you were at the same time last year, or the year before…

Got all my fingers and toes crossed for you. Not that I think you'll need it - so many agents offering rep can't have ALL been wrong.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...