Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Insecure Writer's Support Group

First Wednesday of the month means it's IWSG.




Co-hosts for the April 1 posting of the IWSG will be Suzanne Furness, Tonja Drecker, Toi Thomas, Rachna Chhabria, Fundy Blue, and Donna Hole!
And because this is the first day of April, it means a ton of people are taking their first steps on the A to Z blogging challenge. Not me, though. I'm way too busy right now to deal with that. But good luck to everyone jumping in. The month will be over before you know it.

Things have been pretty much same 'ole same 'ole for me lately. Just tying to keep my head down and get as much writing and work done as possible.

It's been really hard trying to juggle writing two books at once, Book 2 for ASSASSIN'S HEART and my MG fantasy for school. I thought I'd be able to work on one in the morning, and one in the afternoon, but that only worked once.

The problem with switching between stories is, it gives me an opportunity to stop writing for the day, which I almost always take. And then throw in other work that needs to be done (revising my critical thesis, revising my picture book) and it's just too easy for me to say "well, I'll work on that story tomorrow because right now I'll revise stuff because that needs to be done too"

Things went a lot better for me when I hit my page goal for the MG fantasy and then was able to completely set it aside and work on Book 2 alone for a week.

So I don't quite know what the solution is yet. I'm hoping things will go better once the thesis is officially done, but I guess we'll see.

How about you? Ever write two novels at the same time, both with deadlines? Have any tips for me?

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I can't imagine writing two stories at once. My brain would have a hard time shifting between the two.

mshatch said...

Yeah I have a hard time working on two things at once as well. It's easier if I sort of stay in the same mindset for the duration.

Anonymous said...

I've never had deadlines, except the ones I set myself. But the battling two books at the same time - I'm not sure I could do it! I want to give my current project all my love and attention and I feel like cheating when I split projects down the middle.

Anyway, good luck to you!

Rena said...

Umm, no, I haven't tried to make it work for two books at the same time. I can barely think about more than one book in the same month. It just doesn't work out for me.

I don't know how you do it. Good luck! (also, I wouldn't worry about it, you'll figure it out and rock it like a boss!)

dolorah said...

You are doing amazing at keeping up with everything. Its ok to say no to one more event.

Matthew MacNish said...

God, if you're writing at all I say you deserve cookies.

Cathrina Constantine said...

I have tried writing 2 stories at the same time and got screwed up. One was in first person and the other third. I realized, after much angst, that I do much better finishing one and going on to the next. It always amazed me how writers can work on many projects at the same time. But I didn't have a deadline...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...