Sunday, January 2, 2011

2nd Annual No Kiss Blogfest

Another blogfest! And I've got news for you, tomorrow is the Show Me Yours Blogfest, so there will be another post then as well.

CRAY-CRAY!

This is the 2nd Annual No Kiss Blogfest, hosted by Frankie Mallis

What is it?

The No Kiss Blogfest! This is when you get to write a scene or post one from your favorite books, movies, and TV shows that show the almost kiss-- the rising, crushing, excruciating, longing, tension that comes from when two characters get oh-so-close to kissing that you can just feel it....and then...they don't!

Sounds like fun, right?

So here's a scene from the current WIP Glimpse of Another Shore since I just happen to have such a scene. Also, for tomorrow's blogfest there will be another scene regarding these two characters, so check in if you'd like!

Here's some background:

Pier = MC
Lani = Pier's soon to be girlfriend
Nemmy = Pier's younger sister

Pier and Nemmy found a sea serpent. They used Lani's help to treat some of it's lacerations. I think that's pretty much all you need to understand this scene.

And off we go!


“Anyway,” Lani said as she picked up her case. “I’ve got to get back. Dad expects the docks to be fully scrubbed by the time he gets home.”

“I’ll walk you home,” I said and picked up the bait bucket. “Nemmy, don’t stay out here too long, or Mom will start to ask questions.”

“I won’t,” she said, and continued to teach Rule more signals.

“I can’t believe I got to touch a real live serpent,” Lani said as we walked alongside each other on the beach. “I never would have imagined it possible.”

We approached my house and smoke puffed from the oven chimney. Mom had gotten home early from work and started on dinner.

“Yeah, me neither,” I said. “Nemmy seems to have become really attached to her. Still, Every day I hope it will swim away, out into the sea somewhere. As much as Nemmy loves her, I think the whole situation only promises trouble.”

“And when,” Lani looked at me askance. “Has Pier Arvin been afraid of a little trouble?”

I smiled, and snatched her hand. “Since a certain someone disapproves of said trouble.”

“Oh I don’t know. Sometimes I think a little danger can be attractive.” She smiled and tried to free her hand. Instead I tugged her towards me. She shrieked and pushed at me until I lost my balance. I pulled her down onto the sand and landed on top of her.

We laughed for a moment. Then she pushed her hair behind her ears and bit her lower lip.
I should have kissed her. I wanted to kiss her. Instead, as I leaned towards her lips a voice called out.

“Pier!”

Bilge. It was Mom. I sighed and rolled off Lani. We scurried to our feet and brushed ourselves free of sand, but it was too late. She’d already seen us.

Lani squeezed my hand and gave me an apologetic look. “I’ll see you later, okay?”

I nodded and Lani released my hand to continue on down the beach to her house. Mom shot Lani a glance and continued over to me.

“Ma, it wasn’t what it looked like,” I said as she approached.

“Isn’t it?” she asked. “Because it looked to me like someone ditched out of work so he could chase a girl.”




And END SCENE!

So that's it! Now I'm off to read the other No Kiss blogfest entries. I hope to see you back here tomorrow for the fun Show Me Yours Blogfest, Hosted by myself, Hannah and Summer.
By our powers combined...We made a blogfest!

25 comments:

Katie O'Sullivan said...

Interesting excerpt - sounds like a fun story! Also love the cover for it down in the right column- cool!

Will be back tomorrow to check out your blogfest as well!

Happy New Year!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Leave it to Mom to spoil a moment! This is a fun scene, full of expectation.
Happy 2011, Sarah!

Anne Gallagher said...

Sweet Sweet Sweet!!!

Sarah Ahiers said...

Katie - thanks! And i love the cover too

Tricia - those moms. Always ruining things

Anne - Hah!

Mara Nash said...

Very cute. Such an innocent little scene! Makes me curious about the rest of the story...

Amalia Dillin said...

ohhh! The Mother's response at the end makes the scene that much better-- the UST is great, here, and they are so cute together.

J.C. Martin said...

I'm a sucker for romance on a beach. And oh, how embarassing is that? Caught by your own mom! Great piece! :)

Kelly Lyman said...

Man, Mom! Parents always seem to have a way of ruining the moment! Great job and thanks for sharing!

Summer Ross said...

This was a fun little scene, I love moms reaction LOL.

Anonymous said...

That was fun and I really liked Mom's line at the end. lol

Lindsay said...

Great stuff! Boo to mom ruining the moment.

Sarah Ahiers said...

Thanks everyone! And boo on Mom indeed!

Jessica Silva said...

This was cuuuuute. Somehow, Pier seemed completely innocent and naive to me...which made it adorable. Th eonly critique I can offer is that some of the dialogue seemed stiff to me, but maybe that has to do with the world they're in?

LOVED his Ma's last line haha Great job and thank you for sharing!

Devin Bond said...

Leave it to the mom to mess up the kiss!

I really liked this, though I feel like there could've been more tension before the kiss. I still really like it though, Pier was adorable.

Raquel Byrnes said...

Interesting premise. I wish I could've read more about the time/world these two are in. Too bad mom spoiled the moment.
Edge of Your Seat Romance

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

Awwwww mom!!!!! Hehe, what a sweet post:)

Trisha said...

Ooh, another blogfest...I wonder if i can do this after the fact ;)

Unknown said...

Oh! That was you, with that cover! I loved that cover!

*ahem*

The excerpt is great, too. I'd definately pick up that book.

T.x

Loralie Hall said...

Awesome. I love the casual playfulness of the entire thing, before and after. ^_^

Anonymous said...

Oh heavens! Having his Mum come in on such an intimate moment, poor Piers! Great stuff :O)

Rebecca T. said...

that was great! Especially after having just read your Show Me post. I love the vibes between these two characters :D

Christine Danek said...

Love this! Mom always butting in. Darn it!

Sarah Ahiers said...

thanks everyone!

Dominic de Mattos said...

Ah I blinked and had to re-read it! LOL
It's good to know they got together in the end :D
It reads really well and I can imagine it fitting in perfectly to the bigger story.

:Dom (My No Kiss)

Unknown said...

Nice. Also, I love how he uses Bilge as a type of swear word. Made me laugh.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...