Monday, May 3, 2010

In Which I Read Web Comics

Do you read webcomics?
I do. A few anyway. I used to read a lot more but reading blogs took over that free time.
But I still keep up with a few of my favorites.

A few of them update every day but I like to save them all up and then spend and hour or so reading months worth of comics. It's awesome.

One of my favorites is Questionable Content.

Per the page "Questionable Content (or "QC," as it is frequently abbreviated) is an online comic strip that is ostensibly about romance, indie rock, little robots, and the problems people have."

It has an ongoing storyline which is great for long time readers, but the individual comics are typically stand alone.


click on the comics for a zoom in option


One of my other all time fav web comics is Girl Genius. Its tagline is "Adventure, Romance, MAD SCIENCE!" And if you like steampunk even a little (or want to explore steampunk a bit) I HIGHLY recommend this comic.

Unlike Questionable Content this one is pretty much a straight storyline, so you would have to start from the beginning. But the art is awesome.



Twin, Brother and I also enjoy reading VG Cats, which stands for video game cats. Since this one tailors specifically to gamers it's really only funny if you play a lot of games. It's not updated very frequently but when it is, it's usually hilarious.




Finally, the last one I read on a regular basis is XKCD.
There's nothing like a comic about romance, sarcasm, math and language that's done with stick figures.



Do you read any webcomics? If so, any you would recommend?

23 comments:

Hannah said...

I just started reading XKCD. I also like Schlock Mercenary, it's about...you guessed it! mercenaries. How can that not be entertaining? I don't read much more.

Matthew MacNish said...

I love that graph.

Jaydee Morgan said...

Me too! The graph at the end cracks me up.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I read comics when younger, but now that I have the iPad, I find I'm reading them more often.

India Drummond said...

The art in that second one really is remarkable!

Summer Frey said...

Haha! Wind Waker...I totally felt like that more than once during that game. Awesome.

Sarah Ahiers said...

Palindrome - huh, i'll have to check it out.

Mathew Jaydee - yeah i was trying to find a good one with the stick figures, but i couldn't pass this one up

Alex - oooh ipad! add web comics as another reason i want to get one

India - yeah it's one of the web comics that are available as a fully illustrated trade paperback. One day i think i'll buy them

Summer - ahh good times. I loved wind waker but sometimes i just wanted to slap some of those characters

Austin Gorton said...

You know, considering how many comic books I read, I don't read many web comics.

Part of it is the old-fashioned Grandpa in me, and part of it is just that when I'm on the computer with free time, I'm blogging or reading blogs and kinda forget about web comics.

I do read Comic Critics, which is hosted on Comics Should Be Good, which is about it. I read Ninjasaur (a Ninja dinosaur) for awhile, but have fallen behind.

Sarah Ahiers said...

Teebore - i don't really compare webcomics to real comics. They have a different vibe and most of them are more inline with comic strips as opposed to comic books

Austin Gorton said...

Yeah, that's a good point. They are more like comic strips than comic books.

Also, I think I fall into the trap that befalls a lot of new comic book readers: either the web comic has an ongoing story and I don't want to invest the time in catching up, or else the web comic just does one off stories in each installment, in which case it feels inconsequential and I don't feel as compelled to keep up when there's no ongoing story.

So it's kinda damned if you do/damned if you don't, and the only webcomics I end up following are ones with continuous stories that I managed to get in on the ground floor of. So, you know, one...

B.J. Anderson said...

I don't read web comics, but I may have to start. That is if I can find time somewhere. I wish they sold time. That would be awesome. Thanks for the links!!

Talli Roland said...

I have to say that I don't read web comic, but I really enjoyed some of these! Thanks!

Sarah Ahiers said...

Teebore - yeah i don't really know how i got involved in these. QC i've been with for a while, same with Girl Genius

BJ - if you find someone selling time, PLEASE let me know

Talli - anytime!

Zoe C. Courtman said...

The only one I tend to check out is Monica Gallagher's work on eatyourlipstick.com. Supermodels! Mayhem! Greek gods! Tis pretty cool.

Lydia Kang said...

These look great. That graph made me laugh, because it's so true. You could have a super short, or super long novel, and it could still be brilliant, but the probability is way lower. Math geek here.

Shelley Sly said...

I love VG Cats! I've met the guy who writes them. His stuff is hilarious.

I'm really behind (over a year behind) on comics, but I used to read Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, which has a strange sense of humor. Another great gaming comic is Penny Arcade.

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Haha! These are hilarious. Nice graph! I've actually never read a webcomic. I don't think I realized they existed until now. Well then. You learn something new every day. ;) Cool stuff.

Sarah Ahiers said...

Zoe - that sounds pretty awesome

Lydia - if you're a math geek, you'd enjoy XKCD - my nerdy science side loves it

Shelley - VG Cats is awesome! For some reason i never got into penny arcade, though i do read it occasionally and find it funny

Carolina - ha! They can be pretty awesome - especially since there are webcomics for everything. Kind of like blogs i guess

Unknown said...

I just discovered Girl Genius. When I have some extra time I want to start at the beginning.

Sarah Ahiers said...

Janel - it's totally worth starting at the beginning. There is some hilarious stuff in the early pages

Unknown said...

I stumbled across XKCD awhile ago and had forgotten about it!! Now it has been remembered.

Sarah Ahiers said...

Aching - yeah it's a newer discovery for me as well

Unknown said...

NO! I'm supposed to be packing and folding laundry, not reading Web comics! :O

*is distracted*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...