Monday, June 8, 2015

In Which I Display My Steampunk Hats

So, if you've followed this blog for any length of time (or even just glanced at the sidebar) you're aware that I have a small collection of steampunk hats. Only three (though I still want a top hat) but still, three hats is three hats you have to put somewhere.

My first hat was easy. I just hung it on the wall from the strap for it's goggles.




But the second hat didn't have a strap, and couldn't easily hang on anything because it was a bowler.



And the third one was even harder.



So my first hat rested, hanging on the wall, while my other two just sat on my dresser, stacked together. Not that great to look at, and also taking up space on my dresser.

A few years ago I saw a post on Epbot about how she made a hat stand for her steampunk Mickey Mouse ears and I was like "yesss. I can do that too"

But then it took me forever to actually get around to doing it. Mostly because I had troubles finding candlesticks I liked. Finally, though, I realized I could just find ones that had the right shape and height and adjust anything else accordingly.

So that's what I did. I bought three candlesticks from Ikea, an unfinished shelf, and then some spray paint and other supplies. And I began.

I spray-painted the candlesticks and the hardware for the shelf a hammered nickel color, which I liked a lot. Then I stained and polyurethaned my shelf.



When the sticks were dry, I began some crafting (with Twin's help)

We took some foam balls, cut them in half and then layered some cotton over them. We'd gone to the fabric store and found a pretty fabric that I lurved. We attached the fabric to the ball and then used ref push pins to add some decoration.
Then we just attached them to the candlesticks with some hot glue and Voila! Hat stands.


 

obligatory dog butt



Once the shelf was done curing, I hung it in my room and displayed my hats proudly.



This is the kind of crafting that I love. I wish I had more time to make fun things like this, but alas. Adulting must be done.

 

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Clever idea! I like your hat display. Never would've thought of using candlesticks.

Maria Zannini said...

I love what you did with those candlesticks! I love hats too, but I rarely find ones that fit me well. :(

mshatch said...

"...adulting must be done." Hahaha.

Rena said...

Excellent to see you have properly wrangled the hats. Also, that's an awesome idea.

~Sia McKye~ said...

What a great idea! It worked out beautifully, too. I love to do crafts, but like you, adulting must be done, dammit. Tho lately, it seems like I've done way too much adulting. I need some play time.

Sia McKye Over Coffee

Ash Krafton | @ashkrafton said...

LOVE! The hats, the posts, the ALL of it. Inspires me to make something of the pile in my parlor.

*rubs hands and eyes husband sleeping on couch*

Anne Gallagher said...

OMG, I have a ton of hats I keep in hat boxes because I have no idea how to hang them. You are a genius. Guess what I'm doing this summer.

dolorah said...

That was creative!! Love the hats. The candlesticks are cool too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...