Monday, June 15, 2015

In Which I Got A New, Fancy (Standing) Desk

I love my desk. It has three drawers which holds a ton, and a lot of surface space for all my junk. It's fantastic.


So shiny. So chrome. (also, I love Mad Max Fury Road, in case that's not clear)


But I spend a lot of time sitting.

So much time, guys. All day, pretty much. Especially on days where it's raining so there's no dog walk in the morning, or on days where I miss my morning workout for whatever reason.

And then I was like "What id I bought a standing desk?"

But I didn't want to stand all the time. I knew that would just frustrate me. I'd have to do some research.

And as soon as I had that thought, I saw a Lifehacker article listing the top standing desks.

There were some cheap options, which mostly consisted of buying a little stand to put on your existing desk. That wouldn't work for me. I wasn't using a laptop (well, actually I am. But it's a laptop plugged into a docking station and attached to a stand so my monitor sits on top. It would be a PITA to move my existing stand onto another stand anytime I wanted to stand. Also, I wanted the desktop to be at standing height. I take a lot of notes in notebooks)

So I knew the cheaper options were out. Enter the Uplift Desk, which was great because the starting price was literally just for the legs. Then you could buy a top if you wanted or get one yourself. And they offered so many customization options.
Since my goal was to try and recreate my existing desk but also make it so I could stand, Uplift Desks it was!

Last week it finally arrived. I put it together, gave my old desk to Twin and we moved my new desk into the office.

And it's awesome.

normal desk


Standing desk!!

I've only used it for a short time, but I love how, when I'm feeling sleepy after lunch, I just press a button and it raises up so I can stand. And when I need to sit down for some brainstorming, I just press another button and it drops right down to my preset height.

How about you? Do you use a standing desk? Ever considered one?

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's really clever! It gives you both options.
And yes, I got the Fury Road quote. Awesome movie.

Maria Zannini said...

I stood a lot back when I had back problems. But I'm short so it's not like the table was ever too low. LOL.

Nowadays, I use a balance ball as my chair. It strengthens my core and doesn't fatigue my back as quickly.

M.J. Fifield said...

My significant other has a motorized Geek Desk (it's actual name), that goes up or down at the push of a button. He loves it. I'm sticking with my normal non-standing desk for now, but I do have a balance ball chair.

Nate Wilson said...

I use a standing desk at work, but yours is so much nicer. We have no preset, so to raise or lower ours, you need to turn a crank for a couple minutes. My co-workers who also stand do this a couple times a day, but I'm stubborn and have never lowered mine. (I do sit when I'm on a call or in a meeting, and simply crane my neck.)

By the way, I know it's a typo, but if I got a PITA every time I moved an existing stand onto another stand, I'd probably do it. Because hey, free pita.

Rena said...

Considering building one in my next place, but we'll see. I might always go the lazy route, it will depend on the time I spend at my desk (As in not much time, I'll go with sitting.
, otherwise standing desk)

Mythologer said...

But I spend a lot of time sitting. So much time, guys. All day, pretty much. Especially on days where it's raining so there's no dog walk in the ... istandingdesk.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...